Cat Teeth Cleaning in New Orleans, LA
What Our Cat Teeth Cleaning Entails
During a standard physical exam, we can only see so much of your pet’s oral cavity. Naturally, they are not likely to be cooperative during an oral exam. That’s why the bulk of your cat’s dental work must be performed while they are under anesthesia. During this time, we can take a much closer look at their teeth and gums, and search for any signs of damage to the teeth, bones and surrounding tissues.
When cleaning your cat’s teeth, the process includes:
- Dental radiographs to look for hidden disease
- Monitoring general anesthesia--monitors and a live nurse
- IV catheter and fluids for circulatory support
- Pain management for any potentially uncomfortable procedure that may have to be performed
- Ultrasonic scaling – this procedure involves using an ultrasonic scaler to remove stubborn calculus from the teeth
- Polishing – smoothing the tooth surface to reduce future plaque and tartar buildup
- Extractions – if a tooth is broken, abscessed, loose or decayed, it will need to be extracted
Caring for Your Cat's Teeth at Home
Preventing dental disease is almost just as important as curing it. We will recommend methods to help your kitty maintain the health of his or her teeth on a regular basis. Just as your dentist does with your oral care. Call us at (504) 525-6369 to schedule a teeth cleaning appointment today!